« Home | SCRIBE,SCRIBE,EBIRCS,EBIRCS » | Scribe: Sequences » | Fractals » | Fractal Homework » | Fractal Homework » | THURSDAY JUNE 1ST CLASS » | Scribe » | Scribe Post - 05/30/06 » | SCRIBE: Goodbye Periodic Functions, Hello Sequence... » | Ma blogging and ma unblogging(periodic functions) » 

Thursday, June 08, 2006 

Create a Scribers Guide to Scribing

Two days ago I received this email from a teacher friend of mine, Mr. Harbeck.

I would like to congratulate you[r classes]. Every scribe post I read is like taking part in your class. The students take tremendous pride in creating their posts and are all scribing at Hall of Fame levels. It would be interesting for them to reflect on their scribing and come up with a criteria for making the Hall of Fame. They know how much effort they put into their posts and what is worthy or not. As an outsider teaching 13 year olds who have no choice but to be in my class I do not see the devotion these scribes put forth every day. Everyone takes a turn and does a great job.

I would be curious if you did a "bob" on reflecting about scribe posts. The first to the last. What made a difference from the beginning of the course to the end. My topic was a dry etc one...this is how I spiced it up.

Could they create a scribers guide to scribing?

This is a talented bunch of students. Use them while you still have them. The Next bunch could be even better.


So here it is folks. You've more or less created this art form, now you can write the book on it. In the comments to this post answer these questions:

  • How do you go about writing a scribe post? Do you do anything differently in class when it is your turn to scribe? If so, can you describe what you do differently in class when you are scribe?

  • What makes a scribe post worthy of entry into The Scribe Post Hall Of Fame? Specifically, what should be included in the post for it to achieve this recognition?

  • Compare the first scribe post you wrote to the most recent one. What, if anything, did you do differently?


Your replies, and those of my other classes, will be collated and posted on a special page in The Scribe Post Hall Of Fame. Do yourselves proud. The world is watching; teach them how it's done. ;-)




Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Nederlands/Dutch

First of all, the idea of scribe, it had been so helpful to me, as it is another class and an imaginary teacher in my room. When it is my turn to scribe. I usually take down the notes differently. A way that other can understand it. I write down each and every explanation of that day class carefully. I think if the scribe is well done, i.e. the explanation and the formatting of the explanation on the blogger. Those are the characteristic of a scribe to enter the The Scribe Post Hall Of Fame. you must be kidding me, if I compare my first scribe, and my recent scribe. It’s completely different. The structure, the colors. Etc….

Ahh, sorry this is quite late.

When I'm scribe, I pay as close attention as I can. Normally, I'm not as engrossed. In fact, I can be rather aloof. I'm quite the scatterbrain. I hope I put on a good façade. ;) It's not that the class isn't interesting, far from it. I write almost everything down as well.

I think what makes a post Hall of Fame worthy is when you look at it, you can see how much effort the person who wrote it put into it (that was a mouthful). Colour helps, detail is definitely a large factor. Pictures are really nice.

I'd say the difference between my fist and last scribe post is that with my first one, I had no illustration or colour, whereas with my last one, I used captions right from my calculator, and some colour. Too much is hard on my eyes!

When i'm the scribe for the day I usually try to focus and concentrate more than usual. I also try to be prepared to understand and record anything, and if I don't understand anything, I'll try to ask to get it repeated or explained. When I do my scribe I try to make it clear and easy to understand, including all the steps to figure out the problem. I also mention if I don't understand any stuff from the day, so I don't really leave them hanging. One thing forsure, is never be scared to ask for help from your teacher, from explaning the steps to showing you how to work the calculator.

I think to be able to make a scribe post worthy to be in The Scribe Hall Of Fame, is the content. I think thats no. 1. But you also have to look at it differently. You have to be creative with your scribe. I think you should try to be different, do something that no one has done before. You should try to stick out from the group. To be recognized content and creativity is most important...well thats what I think.

Looking back at my first scribe post and to my more recent one, there was a bit of a difference. In my first post it was on Matrices, so it was based on information and data which was just made into matrices. In my more recent one, I was able to be more creative, I was now able to work with diagrams. Diagrams helped so much to understand the problem, and to make the post look good. =)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

To be honest, I don't take this scribe post thing too seriously. Whenever I'm the scribe, I just try and make sure that I have all the information that I need to make the scribe post and then publish the post on the AM40S site. I'm the kind of guy who is laid back and tries not to do things that are considered over-the-top.

Looking back at the scribe posts that I have done, there isn't really anything different between them. Now if I were to take the responsibility of being the scribe more seriously, I probably would've tried to make my scribe post look way over-the-top. Not only would I have the information for the scribe post, but I would have also made various artwork. I would try to include a comic strip of the class via Adobe Photoshop. And that comic strip would be in color. I'm quite fascinated with comics so it would be cool if I took the time to make one for the scribe post.

I think that adding images, whether they be about math or not, would make the scribe post a lot more interesting to read. Whenever I read a scribe post I always tend to read only half of it and skip to where the pictures are. I wouldn't mind reading if there happens to be a few pictures with some text in them, i.e. a comic or something similar. To me, it doesn't really matter if a scribe post ends up in the hall of fame or not. If it looks interesting and has unique images that you wouldn't normally see in a math scribe post, then most likely it would get me to read the whole thing. Basically, a scribe post that is worthy of actually being in the hall of fame, has got to be something that is eye-catching.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link